Sunday, May 13, 2012

Summertime Broccoli Salad

This is a perfect (and easy) summer salad. I think it's best to make the night before to let it set and really soak up the flavor. If you do make the night before I'd recommend holding back a little broccoli and a few cranberries to mix in and freshen it up just before serving.

Ingredients:

  • 1 head broccoli, stems removed and florets cut into pieces
  • 4 slices cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 3/4 cup  light or olive oil mayonnaise (I know, I know - I hate mayo, too but really - you can't taste it once it's in)
  • 2 tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp honey
  • 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (this is optional but really adds a nice kick)
  • 1/4 cup roasted no salt added sunflower seed kernels
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

 Preparation:

  1. In a small bowl combine mayo, vinegar, horseradish, honey, salt and pepper.  Mix well and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl combine broccoli, bacon, onion and cranberries.  Gently stir in the mayo dressing.
  3. Add sunflower seeds just before serving.
Served best in the sunshine with a nice cold, adult beverage.

No, but really. This is probably one of my favorites so call me when you make it.

Adapted from A Chick Who Can Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment